Review: Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask

If you have been into Asian skincare, I am sure that you have already heard about Innisfree's Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask; that is, if you don't already have it. It's a very well-known product from a very well-known brand, but in my Korean skincare journey, it was the first clay mask I'd ever used, and I cannot not share my own thoughts about it.


About the brand:


"Innisfree (Hangul: 이니스프리) is a South Korean cosmetics brand owned by Amore Pacific. Innisfree is a naturalism-oriented cosmetics brand created in 2000.The brand name originated from W. B. Yeats' poem, 'The Lake Isle of Innisfree'. It is one of the few Korean brands that use organic ingredients certified by France's ECOCERT organization." (source)


What the Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask claims to do:

"6-in-1 Pore care!
Shrinks pores + Controls sebum + Exfoliates + Deeply cleanses + Brightens tone + Cools 
Winner of 22 Global Beauty Awards 
1. What is the Super volcanic pore mask?
Jeju volcanic clay is made from minerals released by volcanic explosions in Jeju. It's categorized as a preserved alkaline resource and is effective in removing sebum and other impurities. 
(Contains 6,020 mg of Jeju volcanic clay) 
2. Strong removal of sebum thanks to the Super volcanic capsules 
As the capsule bursts, the mask exfoliates and removes dead skin cells. The AHA ingredient chemically exfoliates and smoothes out skin. 
3. Clear, Contracted, and Refreshed Pores! 
The strong absorption of sebum and cooling effect of the clay refreshes the skin and contracts pores." (source)

Directions:

"After washing your face, gently apply toner on your face to even out your skin texture. Then, apply the mask over your entire face, avoiding your eye and lip areas. Rinse off the mask with lukewarm water after 10 minutes." (source)



Ingredients:

WATER, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, VOLCANIC ASH, GLYCERIN, SILICA, TREHALOSE, KAOLIN, BENTONITE, POLYVINYL ALCOHOL, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, ZINC OXIDE (CI 77947), GLYCERYL STEARATE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, JUGLANS REGIA (WALNUT) SHELL POWDER, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, CITRUS UNSHIU PEEL EXTRACT, OPUNTIA COCCINELLIFERA FRUIT EXTRACT, ORCHID EXTRACT, CAMELLIA JAPONICA LEAF EXTRACT, PVP, PEG-100 STEARATE, POLYSORBATE 60, STEARIC ACID, PALMITIC ACID, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL, XANTHAN GUM, IRON OXIDES (CI 77499), ZEA MAYS (CORN) STARCH, SORBITAN STEARATE, POLYACRYLATE-13, MANNITOL, MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE, LACTIC ACID, POLYISOBUTENE, MENTHOXYPROPANEDIOL, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE, POLYSORBATE 20, IRON OXIDES (CI 77491), DISODIUM EDTA, PHENOXYETHANOL (source)

CosDNA analysis

This was the first ever Korean clay mask I had used, and I had just started on this journey. Back then, my face was always an oil field, no matter what I did, no matter how expensive Western products I used (I am assuming those awful toners that were basically water mixed with alcohol, were doing my skin no favors, either.)
It was also summertime, so alltheoil mixed with the sweating... Yeah, it wasn't a good look.


At first, this mask felt like the myriad of Western clay masks I had used; it's rather rigid, not a whole lot of fun to spread, and smells mostly like sand (if sand has a smell. I don't know. My sense of smell kinda sucks.) It is also a pain in the butt to scoop out of the jar container, so I always use a spatula (with which it doesn't come.)

The first main difference I noticed, is that it didn't start pulling at my skin as it started drying. It didn't feel uncomfortable like all those drying Western clay masks that always felt like they had formed a layer of concrete on my skin which would only be able to be removed by tools that contractors use. (I have no idea what they are. A scraper, maybe? You get the picture...)


The next surprise came when I started removing it. I did not need a scraper! Now, this is a clay mask, so I will not pretend that it just slid off of my face like baby oil. However, when I started washing it off with water, it actually did wash off. My previous experiences with clay masks had included them not budging for what felt like forever.

The third, and final, enjoyable surprise was how my skin felt after using this mask. Unlike the aforementioned Western clay masks, this one didn't suck alltheoils out of my skin; in fact, it felt soft and happy, while it was, indeed, free of all the excess oil, and my pores did seem smaller.
(Side note: they probably weren't because people who know so much more than I about how it all works, claim that the size of our pores is, sadly, a given. However, the cleaner they are, the less obvious they become.)



I'll admit that I don't use this mask as often as I used to, but that is mainly because of all the most welcome changes in my skin; simply put, I just don't feel like I need it as much as I did when I started my AB journey. I've used up barely half of the jar, and I have a feeling I might not be able to get to the bottom of it before the one-year after-opening expiry date arrives - or, alternatively, the product just becomes too hard and too much of a hassle to remove from its pretty little house. 

Recommend? Absolutely. I believe this is a great mask for people with oily skin and pore issues, and best used in the warm/hot months of the year.

Where to buy? This is a popular product and can be bought in a million online stores. There's Innisfree's global website where it is currently listed for USD 15.00, then there's eBay where experienced sellers offer it for as little as around USD 12.00 (including shipping,) or my new favorite store StyleKorean where you can grab a 100ml jar for USD 9.57 (however, grab other things, too, so that the weight-based shipping fee will be worth it.)



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/27/2016

    Awesomely detailed review! This is one of my favorite products! However, it looks like your jar is dried out - it shouldn't look like that. The consistency is supposed to be wet enough to be painted with. It shouldn't affect the mask, but if you add a little water, it should spread a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by! :) Yes, my jar is definitely drying out. :/ I have had it for about a half a year, and I am only halfway done. I remember it being smoother in the beginning. I am eyeing the mousse version as well as the Mamonde clay mask about which I have read good reviews, so I think I will soon have to break my no-buy (it never lasts, does it? :)) I am kinda using the drying-out issue as an excuse. :P

      Delete

 

Get Paid For Shopping Online

Follow on Bloglovin'

Follow

Get 15% Off!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Get $5 Off!

Activate by Bloglovin'

Follow by Email