First Impression: Holika Holika Skin & Good Cera - Super Cream Jelly Capsule and Super Cream Original

As I was waiting for my new Berrisom Collagen Hydra Firming Cream arrive from RoseRoseShop, I decided to try some of the gazillion random samples I still had at home, and use each a few nights to see if I liked any of them. First up were my packs of two different moisturizers from Holika Holika's strange-sounding Skin & Good Cera line: the Super Cream Jelly Capsule, and the Super Cream Original. Despite being from the same line, they're two very different products, aimed at very different skin types.


About the brand:
Holika Holika is a South Korean cosmetic brand established by parent company Enprani in early of year 2010. The brand has a unique magical theme and houses over 60 product lines ranging from skin care to make up. Holika Holika means 'Beauty-HOLIC'. It has over 30 outlets in South Korea and its products are also available in Thailand and Singapore. Its brand endorsement by boy band CN Blue makes it an instant hit among teens and youths in Korea. (source)

Skin & Good Cera Super Cream Jelly Capsule

What this product claims to achieve:
"Recovering skin’s fundamental capability with ceramide: Ceramide is skin’s natural consitution, which helps to have more water retention inside of skin layer.
Mild formula, which is available for all types of skin and ages.
Dermatologist Tested, suitable for sensitive skin.
Vitamin jelly cream containing enriched ceramide capsules: As soon as being applied, ceramide capsules popped out for nourishing and moisturizing skin intensively." (source)

Instructions and ingredients:
Apply cream all over face and pat gently to help absorption

Water, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Methyl Gluceth-20, Propanediol, Cyclohexasiloxane, 1,2-Hexanediol, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Trehalose, PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer, Palmitic Acid, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Stearic Acid, riethanolamine, Carbomer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Disodium Edta, Dipropylene Glycol, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Ceramide 3, Coptis Chinensis Root Extract, Ceramide 6 II, Pogostemon Cablin Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis(Orange) Peel Oil, ANTHEMIS NOBILIS FLOWER OIL, PELARGONIUM GRAVEOLENS OIL, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Cymbopogon Citratus Leaf Oil, Niacinamide, Sodium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Maltodextrin, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pyridoxine HCL, Eruca sativa Leaf Extract, Silica, Sclerotium Gum, Sodium Hyaluronate (source)

CosDNA analysis


I was more interested in this product than her big sister, initially, so I tried it first.

When I clipped the corner of the first pouch, and dispersed the cream, I thought it had expired, for it smelled like straight alcohol, and it had a very strange consistency where half of it was jelly-like, with some thicker cream mixed into it.
However, not only did my samples have the expiration date very visible on them (which I really appreciate and rarely see with samples,) when I looked up the full-size product online, I saw that this was, indeed, how it was supposed to look:


It makes me wonder if the cream-looking substance is what the description refers to as "ceramide capsules." I don't think I'll ever know for sure.

Now, given that I made as sure as one could that my samples weren't expired, and the product still smells like straight alcohol, plus that it is listed as the third ingredient, I have to say that this cream was highly disappointing.


One could argue that this cream is not aimed at dry skin. However, I just find it hard to imagine what type of skin could benefit from so much alcohol. Remember when you used to slather on your face those awful Western toners that were practically nothing but watered down alcohol (OK, alcohol'ed down water?) Oh, you know you did do it at one point in your life. Now, that really wasn't good, and I don't think that a Korean cream that smells like the alcohol I use to clean my empty cosmetic jars with, is any better.

Sorry about the weird lighting/color in these two photos; I use my phone to take pics and I was trying very hard to be able to show you the consistency.

I first used it after sheet masking and having a lot of thick leftover essence on my skin, and as soon as I applied this jelly/cream, my face went all matte. Which I don't mind, really, I just don't want to think about how much that was due to the drying effect of alcohol.

Don't get me wrong: I am not an alcohol hater (even though I don't drink.) I know that good alcohols in the right formulation can have their benefits. But not this much, for goodness sake. I don't want my face cream to smell like rubbing alcohol; I just don't. It might feel nice for someone with very oily skin - even though, again, I doubt that it's actually beneficial, other than some sort of instant gratification that happens. The ingredient list (see the analysis I linked above) does reveal a few potential triggers (albeit, YVMM applies.)
So, I don't see how the claims that it's good for all skin types and ages, could be true.

Recommend? No. Smells like rubbing alcohol, has a very high "bad alcohol" content, there are a few potential triggers on the ingredient list... I just don't see how it would be right for anyone, really.

Where to buy? It currently sells for USD 14.48 on ibuybeauti, USD 15.38 on KoreaDepart, USD 41.90 on YesStyle (I can't believe the markup!,) and it's also available on eBay for USD 17.59 (with free shipping.)

Skin & Good Cera Super Cream Original

What this product claims to achieve:
A ceramide moisturizer that instantly hydrates, nourishes skin for up to 72 hours. (source)

Instructions and ingredients:
Take  an appropriate amount and apply on face. Lightly pat it for better absorption.

Water, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric/Myristic/Stearic Triglyceride, PEG-100 Stearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Stearyl Behenate, Pentaerythrityl, Tetraethylhexanoate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Cyclomethicone, Polyethylene, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Phenyl Methicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PEG-150 Distearate, Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Phytosteryl/Isostearyl/Cetyl/Stearyl/Behenyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Ceramide 3, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Ceteareth-20, Glyceryl Citrate/Lactate/Linoleate/Oleate, Hydroxypropyl Bispalmitamide MEA, Glycosphingolipids, Ceramide 6 II, Meadowfoam Estolide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Cetearyl Glucoside, Betaine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Polyquaternium-51, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Aleuritic Acid, Yeast Extract, Glycoproteins, Dipropylene Glycol, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Eruca Sativa Leaf Extract, Caramel, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl, Taurate Copolymer, Squalane, Polysorbate 60, Carbomer, Allantoin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tromethamine, Disodium EDTA, Caprylyl Glycol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Cymbopogon Citratus Leaf Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Pogostemon Cablin Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil

CosDNA analysis


It's a whole lot of ingredients, a whole lot of silicones, not a whole lot of interesting stuff going on as far as the top of the list goes, and the two types of ceramides are lost somewhere in the middle, meaning that there's tiny amounts of them in the product.
Also, ceramides are supposed to be too heavy for anything but truly dry skin.
So, I didn't have high hopes for this cream.


However, I ended up really liking it. As you can probably tell, it's a heavy, rigid type of cream; but, once you spread it on your face, it doesn't feel heavy at all.
Granted, I never used large amounts of it at a time but the amounts I did use, sank into my skin beautifully, within no more than a minute. I have seen (read) other people who hated it, claimed it left a thick and uncomfortable layer, messed up their makeup, all that - I never experienced any of that. In fact, it made my normal skin feel very healthy, and left it very, very soft.
YMMV, as always.

I like it so much that were it not for the large amounts of silicones (which make it likely that using this cream would cause clogged pores on my face, in the long run,) I would absolutely get the full-size product, and I am little sad that I couldn't find more sample packs than the few I have used.

Recommend? Yes. This, unlike its little sister, I feel would be suitable for different skin types in need of nourishment; however, the ingredient list (see CosDNA analysis above) does include a few potential triggers, so please make sure you patch test it (I say it like I ever patch test anything. I am so bad that way.) While I don't think it includes large enough amounts of its truly interesting ingredients (ceramide and some intriguing oils) where they will make a considerable difference, it does feel like a highly nourishing, yet light cream.

Where to buy? It is available on eBay starting a little over USD 16.00 with free shipping, on KoreaDepart for USD 16.23, or on RoseRoseShop for USD 13.03.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Get Paid For Shopping Online

Follow on Bloglovin'

Follow

Get 15% Off!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Get $5 Off!

Activate by Bloglovin'

Follow by Email