How I Get Deep Zits To Come To A Head

As a foreword, let me say a few things. One, I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice. Or, advice, per se. I am just sharing my experiences. I am not even well versed in Chemistry (and that's putting it lightly,) so all that's coming up is simply something that I did, and the only DIY way I have found to get those nasty, deeply embedded zits to come to a head. Also, please note that my skin is very resilient, and I have absolutely no issues with sensitivities whatsoever. (Knock on wood. Other than a single ingredient that screwed up my face and eventually led me to come up with what I'll be talking about. So, read on.) I cannot guarantee that the method that's worked for me, will work for you; it might not be right for your skin, so proceed with common sense.
Zit busting ninja in action!

First, let me quickly tell you how I ended up with a deeply embedded zit that would not come anywhere near the surface for years. (Yup, you read that right. I said "years.")

It was a little less than a decade ago that I made a terrible mistake. I bought a Bare Escentuals powder kit at Sephora. You know, the makeup so clear you can sleep in it or whatever? Yeah, that. I have always been pretty obsessed with cleaning my face at the end of the day, so I never slept in it. Neither did I ever feel like it was as useful as it was said to be, but somehow, I convinced my dumb self that it was, and I kept smearing it all over my face, in thick layers, every single day.

After a couple weeks, whenever I ran my fingers across my face, and especially my jawline, it felt like a million microscopic tiny zits. They weren't visible yet, but it was obvious that something was a-brewin' under the surface.

So, what did I do?
Yup, I kept putting even more of that shit on my face.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
(image source)

What then erupted on my face was without a doubt some very serious cystic acne. Huge, deep, painful zits all over my face. Of course, I tried to cover it with some more of that shit (seriously, how could I be so dumb?!), and it did nothing - even coverage-wise - because it was all 3D, and nothing short of a new face would have made it invisible. 
I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I looked disfigured, like I had caught some rare, incurable topical skin disease that would undoubtedly result in my entire face just eventually exploding.
I looked scary and hideous, at the tender age of about 32.

(image source)

After a while, I had no choice but to see a dermatologist, and I was put on a pretty aggressive round of Accutane. Then another one. Altogether, it took a year of meds for my skin to get back to normal. "Normal," as in no more cystic acne, but lots of leftover scarring (especially icepick scars) and hyperpigmentation. That stuff fucked up my face for life. It's scary, but it's true.
Oh, you're wondering about the culprit? It's an ingredient called Bismuth Oxychloride. You can read more from people whose skin reacted terribly to it, here. "The heaviness of the ingredient can also clog pores, which is definitely not good for those with acne-prone skin. Mineral makeup is supposed to be better for reactive skin, but if it has bismuth oxychloride in it, it may encourage the formation of blackheads, whiteheads, and postules instead. Some users may experience cystic acne if they wear mineral makeup regularly." Read more here

(image source)

So, if Accutane eventually fixed my issues, what am I babbling on about here? 
See, for some reason, there remained this single, deeply embedded flat-half-a-pea under my chin. It was just hanging out there. A few years later, it got inflamed. I still had medical insurance (and now I do, again, in case you're wondering, so that's pretty cool,) and the dermatologist I saw actually had to cut it open, and I had to take a round of antibiotics. (OK, seriously, that's how evil that shit was. We are now talking about a few years and a year of Accutane later.) 

The sucker then flattened out, only to come back another year later. 
By which time I had already been shit out of luck, and couldn't afford the luxury of seeing a derm for something that no one even really saw.

One night, and I have no idea how this idea came about - some of the best ideas come from a place of frustration and desperation, I guess, - I decided to try something.
Yeah, I am finally getting to the interesting part, people.

(image source)

I had a random tube of clay mask that I clearly remember I had picked up at a TJ Maxx, and I put a thin layer on my zit before going to bed. Really, I had nothing to lose.

Interestingly, by the next morning, that thing that had just been sitting under my chin (is "under my chin" a thing? it was between the jawline and the neck) for so long, was visibly closer to the surface. Elated, I smeared some clay mask on, again, that night. I am not perfectly sure how many of these "overnight clay mask spot treatments" it took - it couldn't have been more than three or four, - and suddenly, I awoke to the biggest head of a zit I had ever seen.

I'll spare you the gory details, especially since if you haven't experienced it, you can most likely imagine, anyway. I certainly couldn't resist popping the hell out of that sucker (this was also pre-AB, and I was everything but nice to my skin back then.) It was like a damn skyscraper of a zit. Layers and layers of crap stuck in there.

(image source)

Altogether, it took well over a week for everything to come out, and for the hole left behind to really start healing. It might sound like a long time, but if you consider the fact that no other DIY method had fixed it for years, I'll take it.

Ever since that, I have used this "method" once more. It was a much less dramatic zit, just a much smaller one that decided to grow several layers under the surface, and since I simply didn't want to wear it for God knows how long until it, well, resolves, I put some clay mask on it overnight again, and lo and behold, it was nothing but a head by the following morning. (Do as I say, don't do as I do. I popped it. I couldn't resist. I will never be able to, I'm afraid. Be smart, don't be an impatient freak like I am.)

From my experience, it didn't matter what type of clay mask I used. That random TJ Maxx mask whose name I can't even remember anymore, was just as good for these purposes as the Korean one I used the second time around.
I used a thin layers every time, so that it doesn't just fall off 30 minutes after application. It did the trick.

Whether your skin can even handle an overnight-clay-mask-spot-treatment, I have no idea. I don't know how you can find out other than trying it, if you so wish.
Also note that I don't do this on a regular basis at all; I only did it twice over several years, and both times, I only used the mask on the zit itself. I am pretty sure this is not a very subtle "treatment," so proceed with caution.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Get Paid For Shopping Online

Follow on Bloglovin'

Follow

Get 15% Off!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Get $5 Off!

Activate by Bloglovin'

Follow by Email