Review: History of Whoo Nok Yong Pack

When I saw that StyleKorean was offering the History of Whoo Nok Yong Pack at a whoopin' 66% off for $18.60, I immediately alerted my father's wife, who - in return - immediately placed an order. When it arrived, she also gave me a decant - it's a generous-sized, 135ml tube, so there was plenty in there for both of us. But even before I would put it on my face, I tried it on my hands, with a very specific goal in mind. Read on to see how it went.

About the brand:
"The History of Whoo is a global cosmetic brand, well-loved not only in Korea, but also in China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and the United States. Traditional Korean royal culture is revived with modern science to create the most precious aesthetic beauty. Products of the brand is designed to convey modern cosmetic virtues while embodying regal beauty and royal court mystique with the line of Oriental beauty." (source)

What this product claims to achieve:
"The History of Whoo Gongjinghyang Nok Yong Pack is a skin nutritional pack that helps to restore skin by improving the circulation of fluid and essence within the skin with warm heating from velvet Deer Antler and royal jelly. Nok Yong Pack with royal jelly and the highly-concentrated extracts from deer antler activates energy within the skin to restore the health of it." (source)


Ingredients:
Sodium Silicoaluminate, PEG-8, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Velvet Deer Extract, Squalane, Ceteareth-20, Carbomer, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Royal Jelly Extract, FD&C Red No.4, Yellow No.5, FD&C Blue No.1 (source)


Star ingredients, in no particular order:
  • Deer Velvet Extract - "Deer velvet antler is the growing stage of the horns of male members of the deer family. Velvet antler is living tissue that grows at a very fast rate. (...) Recent research conducted on the chemistry, pharmacology, and use of velvet antler extracts in Korea, China, and Russia, showed that deer velvet demonstrated a great ability to assist in a process of regenerating new tissue and have anti-aging benefits when applied topically." (source)
  • Squalane - "Squalane, whilst not so bountiful in plants as it is in shark's liver, can be found in many vegetable oils. (...) Highly refined squalane from olive demonstrates the most notable squalane characteristic: its ability to completely and rapidly penetrate the skin. Apparently, it can permeate into the skin at a rate of 2 mm/second. (...) Squalane is an antioxidant, prevents UV damage and the formation of age spots, promotes cell growth and is an antibacterial." (source)
  • Royal Jelly Extract - "Royal Jelly Extract is one of the richest sources of protein and vitamins. Containing 17 amino acids, abundant levels of B vitamins and minerals, it is one of the most powerful nutrients in the fight against aging skin and inflammatory skin conditions, where it stimulates cellular renewal and the promotion and synthesis of collagen and elastin for firm, more toned skin and a smooth appearance." (source)


I hardly ever talk about packaging in my reviews, simply because normally, I honestly just don't care. Sure, I Ooh and Aah over products in cute packaging, but I just don't buy them (although, I want to.) When it comes to the gorgeously breath-taking packaging of luxury brands, I really do want them, I just can't afford them. The packaging of this product falls in the latter category. Even the box is beautiful. You can really tell that you're holding something expensive in your hand. I want to sleep with the packaging.


As soon as I got my grabby hands on this mask, I knew I wanted to try it. Given that we were sitting around my father's dinner table, I decided to slap some on my left hand. See, I was curious about something. I really love the Hera Age Away Intensive Mask, which can be used as a wash-off mask as well as a sleeping pack. I use it at night, and my skin is always truly soft and happy in the morning, so I would think it a terrible waste to wash it off after maybe a half an hour. So, I have been wondering if maybe, just maybe this History of Whoo mask could be left on overnight as well.
Other than the Deer Velvet Extract, I see absolutely nothing in there that I don't see all the time in facial creams that stay on one's face all day. (Please, do correct me if I'm wrong.)

Expensive product, decanted

This mask is very, very thick and heavy, not unlike trying to spread actual honey on your skin. As the manufacturer claims, it does heat up, and it heats up very impressively. If you have ever tried the Innisfree Seaweed Mask (the one that comes in the little pod,) well, this one heats up a whole lot more. Eventually, the sensation dissipates, but it's fun while it lasts. 
The heaviness and stickiness, they don't disappear. A good half an hour into my little hand-experiment, I could still feel a thick layer sitting on top of my skin, even though I could tell that a lot of the product had already sunk in. The strong flowery-honey scent (which I didn't mind at all and had been prepared for, since all History of Whoo products I had ever tried, were very strongly scented) lingered as well.
Over an hour into my experiment, my skin suddenly felt really itchy, and where the mask was covering it, started turning red. I have very non-reactive skin all over my body, so that was an unexpected turn of events, especially so long after applying the product. I immediately washed it off with soap and water, and the redness disappeared in about 10 minutes.
What caused this reaction and why? I have absolutely no clue. However, I am glad I tried it on my hand first, and didn't risk leaving it on my face overnight. I know that's not what I am supposed to do, anyway, but I just had to try...


So, you might be wondering how it works when used appropriately, yes?
Let's see whether it lives up to its claims:
  • it is indeed a very warming and moisturizing product. The warmth generated is impressive, and it leaves my skin ultra-soft and plumped;
  • most likely due to the warming effect, it does feel very energizing. Because of how it must affect blood flow, my skin looks truly revitalized;
  • the scent is strong, all right. I do not find it "physically and mentally" relaxing at all; in fact, I can see how it would bother someone with a sensitive nose.


Recommend? Absolutely, especially if you 1. have a lot of money, or 2. can find a good deal. It is a highly moisturizing mask that makes the skin feel energized due to how the product warms up. Please do patch test it first (I suck at it,) though, because the fragrance might be overwhelming to some, and it can cause some itching and flushing if left on for too long.

Where to buy? StyleKoreaneBayTesterKorea



2 comments:

  1. I was eyeing this the history of whoo pack. Have u tried the sulwhasoo one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, thanks for dropping by! :) I think this really is a solid product and does what it claims to do, even though I am not sure it (or any other wash-off mask that provides only temporary results) is worth the original price. Unless one has money to burn. :)
      Which Sulwhasoo mask do you mean? I'm trying to think back, and I think I have only tried their overnight mask (of which I have a new one on the way because my beloved Hera sleeping pack is running out AND discontinued.)

      Delete

 

Get Paid For Shopping Online

Follow on Bloglovin'

Follow

Get 15% Off!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Get $5 Off!

Activate by Bloglovin'

Follow by Email