Review: Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask

My lips hate me. My lips take every chance they get to dry out. They are sneaky, and if I don't keep feeding their obsessive need for intense hydration, they surprise me by turning into a peeling mess in the morning. Then I chew on them, and make everything even worse. So, when I received the Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask as a birthday gift from my father's wife, I hoped I could finally make my lips love me. Let's see if it happened.


About the brand: 
"Through 20 years of research on the interaction between water and skin, Laneige discovered that water not only plays an important role in moisturizing but is also effective in boosting the effects of brightening and anti-aging products. Laneige developed its own exclusive technology, Water Science, to help bold and confident young women get naturally hydrated, supple skin anytime, anywhere with the power of water, we present to you the gift of clear, radiant skin." (source)

Product claims:
"Vitamin C-rich Berry Mix ComplexTM, containing raspberry, strawberry, cranberry, blueberry extracts erases dry, flaky dead skin on the lips during the night to realize smooth and supple lips the next morning." (source)

Instructions and ingredients:
Step 1: Before going to bed, apply a liberal amount with the spatula. ※ Effect: Melts stubborn dead skin cells and provides abundant moisture to skin during nighttime.
Step 2: The next morning, gently wipe skin clean with tissue or cotton pad. ※ Effect: Makes the lips smooth and elastic by removing dead skin cells. (source)

Diisostearyl Malate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Phytosteryl/Isostearyl/Cetyl/Stearyl/Behenyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Hydrogenated Poly(C6-14 Olefin), Polybutene, Microcrystalline Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Synthetic Wax, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Sucrose Tetrastearate Triacetate, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-2 Diisostearate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Methicone, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Polyglyceryl-2 Triisostearate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Water, Potassium Alginate, Glycerin, Propanediol, Alcohol, Chenopodium Quinoa Seed Extract, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Lycium Chinense Fruit Extract, Sapindus Mukurossi Fruit Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Fragaria Chiloensis (Strawberry) Fruit Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Rubus Chamaemorus Seed Extract, Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Beta-Glucan, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Fragrance+/-CI 15850, CI 15850:1, CI 45410:1, CI 45380:2, CI 45380, CI 45410, CI 17200, CI 12085, CI 19140, CI 15985, CI 47005, CI 42090, Titanium Dioxide, CI 77499, CI 77491, Mica (source)



Why and how I use it:
Well, I use it because I suffer from dry lips, and unsurprisingly, I use it at night, as the very last step of my skincare routine. Not every night, though. I'll tell you why in a little bit.

First things first: while this is - in my opinion - rather pricey for a lip product, the 20g of cream in the pot will probably last you forever. Because it is quite thick and waxy, you really won't need (or, like I, be able to really deal with) a lot of it for each use. My pot is still about 2/3 full, and I have been using it relatively regularly for about four or five months. So, if it ends up working for you, I am pretty sure you can get a year's worth of use out of it, which makes it very affordable. A dollar to a dollar and a half - depending on where you buy it - a month is not bad at all.


Second things second: this cream smells heavenly, as long as you're into sweet berries. I am, and this is wonderful. It is not an artificial scent either, unless you consider, let's say, creamy berry ice cream scents artificial.
Nah, it's awesome.

For me, though, the joy of using it stops right there.
I do not like that it's in a pot. It's a sticky, waxy product that would be so much more easier to get out were it in one of those little chapstick-tubes. Yeah, you might end up with some residual product that you cannot get out, but let there be no bigger problems in life!
I love the silicone spatula it comes with, except the cream itself is so sticky (think thinner honey) that unless you clean your spatula very throughly after each use, making sure that allthestickiness is gone, you will just end up with a mess. This silicone spatula, as nice as it feels if you use it on your lips, is certainly harder to keep clean than a small plastic one, so if you insist on using one, I'd stick with the latter kind.

As dry as my lips normally are, this treatment doesn't really sink in (and yes, your hair will absolutely get stuck on your lips when wearing it,) it just creates a thick, waxy (have I said "waxy" too many ties already?) layer over them. I can really only put it on right before going to bed, otherwise it really aggravates me. Even then - I am a side sleeper - I have to pay extra attention that I don't smear it all over my pillow.

As for its claims of helping one get rid of dead skin on the lips while deeply hydrating them, it does deliver - overnight. Even when my lips are at their worst, if I put on a thicker layer at night, I wake up to smooth, hydrated, plump lips.
However, I have to be very consistent because my lips start deteriorating again if I skip a night. Now, mine might be exceptionally prone to dryness, I don't know. But I have heard from more than one person that the effects of the Aritaum Ginger Sugar Overnight Lip Mask are longer lasting, so I really want to try that once once this little jar runs out (which is possibly never going to happen.)

Recommend? As long as you don't mind the waxy (my favorite word of the day, apparently,) sticky texture and you're willing to use it every night (or, at least, almost-every night,) then this product is an absolute winner for chapped, dry lips. It does work overnight, like it claims it does. If the texture is something that bothers you, using it less frequently might not produce the desired effects.

Where to buy? JolseYesStyleeBay



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Get Paid For Shopping Online

Follow on Bloglovin'

Follow

Get 15% Off!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Get $5 Off!

Activate by Bloglovin'

Follow by Email