Review: Skinfood Strawberry Black Sugar Wash Off Mask

I am aware that there are three gazillion plus two reviews available about the Skinfood Strawberry Black Sugar Wash Off Mask, but I realized the other day that mine was running out, so I thought I would add my voice to the noise because why not?


About the brand:
Skinfood (스킨푸드) is a South Korean skincare and cosmetics manufacturer and retailer, headquartered in Seoul. The owner of the company has been involved in the skincare business since 1957. The main concept of the company is to create products with nutritional values of food. The company's slogan is "beauty food for the urban sweetie". (source)

What this product claims to achieve:
Wash-off facial mask is made from mineral-rich Brazilian black sugar, strawberry seeds and strawberry oil, select ingredients that nourish and brighten skin. Yummy face mask is almost good enough to eat and delights the senses with its sweet scent as it refines and hydrates, bringing life and vitality to an ashy and drab complexion. (source)

Instructions and ingredients:
Gently massage the mask onto a freshly washed, damp face, avoiding the eyes. Leave on for 10- to 15-minutes, then rinse the mask off with warm water. (source)

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sucrose, Glycerin, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Lanolin, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Seed, Sorbitan Laurate, Fragaria Ananassa (Strawberry) Seed Oil, Water, BHT, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Caramel, CI 17290, CI 17986, Parfum (source)




Star ingredients:

  • Shea butter: The concentration of natural vitamins and fatty acids in Shea butter makes it incredibly nourishing and moisturizing for skin. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, it aids in the skin’s natural collagen production, and With long term use, many people report skin softening and strengthening as well as wrinkle reduction. (source)
  • Lanolin: Lanolin oil occurs naturally within the wool and is taken out before the wool is processed to make clothing and other products. Its moisturizing properties are highly valued in a number of skin care treatments because it penetrates deeper into dry skin, and doesn’t just moisturize, but also creates a barrier in the underlying layers of skin to prevent moisture from escaping. (source)
  • Macadamia Nut Oil: Macadamia Nut Oil has one of the highest sources of the essential fatty acid, palmitoleic acid, found in animal oils.  Palmitoleic Acid is very close to human sebum, in chemical profile. As mature skin is lacking in this essential fatty acid, Macadamia Nut Oil is an excellent carrier for all anti-aging, and mature, especially menopausal, treatment products, where it offers restructuring and  moisturizing properties. (source)
  • Strawberry Seed Oil: Strawberry seed oil moisturizes and protects the outer layers of our skin. The oil helps to repair the moisture barrier of the skin, thus helping to restore smoothness and suppleness. Strawberry seed oil is very rich and is also known as a "dry oil." (source)


I used to use physical exfoliants all the time. I was also really rough with them; if you were using skincare products in the 1990s, you know that we were somehow under the assumption that if it hurt, it worked. I shudder to think how badly I treated my skin for so long.

These days, I am more of a chemical exfoliant type of gal, but I still do reach for this wash-off mask every now and then. I consider it more of a physical exfoliant than a regular wash-off mask, even though nothing stops anyone from using it strictly as the latter.

First, the smell. Holy crap! THE. SMELL. It's heavenly. It's like slapping fresh, homemade strawberry marmalade on your face. And yes, I absolutely did taste it; it's not like I gulped down a spoonful, but I did try a teeny-tiny little bit just to make sure that I shouldn't eat it.
I shouldn't.

It's a very emollient product, slippery and oily, and rather easy to spread. There are small pieces of brown sugar and strawberry seeds for physical exfoliation. The former slowly dissipate (and I mean slowly,) but the latter don't budge, and they are not extremely gentle. If you use chemical exfoliants and/or are prone to some roughness when it comes to spreading stuff on your face, proceed with caution. We are not talking apricot scrub level here, but you can hurt your skin, depending on its resilience and your, well, "style."


I usually use a medium-thick layer on dry skin, and very gently massage it; that way, it's more about getting a little extra blood flowin' than physical exfoliation, and I like it that way. I believe that more would be too much. I then usually leave it on my skin for however long I need to take care of the dogs' morning needs, wash it off with lots of water, and proceed with my morning routine.

This mask always makes my skin extra soft. It doesn't become exceptionally smooth, or even-colored, or plumped, but it is smooth as a baby's butt. It remains that way for most of the day (I like to use this on Sunday mornings, don't ask me why because I have no idea.) I am not sure if it has any real long-term benefits, even with regular use, but it's a very peasant experience with some obvious-to-the-touch short-term benefits.

Recommend? Yes; unless your skin is extra sensitive, or you tend to get rough with physical exfoliants. The smell alone is worth the price (strawberry fields, here we come!) and this mask also leaves my skin ultra-soft each time I use it.

Where to buy? KollectionKRoseRoseShopeBay


Whoa! This is from over 10 years ago!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Get Paid For Shopping Online

Follow on Bloglovin'

Follow

Get 15% Off!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Get $5 Off!

Activate by Bloglovin'

Follow by Email